Wednesday, November 02, 2011

The I-39 Chronicles: Part 1 (Take 2)

Historically, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation has not required consultants to use any particular software package.  In most cases, a PDF is the desired deliverable.  Project managers at the state have always had the power to require specific forms of data, but rarely do so.  Until now.

For the I-39/90 improvement project, WisDOT has taken the unprecedented action of requiring Civil 3D for design development and all submittal drawings. 

Wow! This is a first for us.  In fact, I think it might be a first in the country for a DOT project of such magnitude (~45 miles & 12 interchanges) to be modeled in Civil 3D.  That's a lot of data, but I have every confidence that when set up correctly, these projects will come though with flying colors.  

Here's what I have advised so far (with the collaboration of two of the main consultants designing the southern portion):

They will import the LIDAR data into Civil 3D 2012 and export the simplified surface model via LandXML to 2010.
  • They will use data shortcuts extensively to keep the size of the DWG's down.  
    • Surfaces
    • Alignments
    • Profiles +  Corridors (keep profiles with corridor so we can utilize locking)
    • Grading
    • Final Surfaces
    • Storm
  • No more than 2 miles of straightaway per corridor drawing.  
  • Interchanges will be in their own corridor drawings.  Complex interchanges will be broken down into several drawings. 
I feel immense pressure to have the software-end of the project go well.  Most of the consultants involved are my clients who I've trained or supported in other projects. This project has the potential to be a stellar success story.

...and I can't wait to tell it. 


I will tell it honestly, in it's entirety, with no editing or interference by any party. 

No comments: