Monday, April 09, 2007

Deploying

(This isn't a tutorial, but network deployments are not for the feint of heart)

Greetings from Rapid City, South Dakota.

This week I'm doing a good, old-fashioned network install of Civil3D2006. Yes. 2006. And the hardest part was getting the license file from Autodesk. If you purchase 2007, but want to install 2006 (say, because your architecture department is on ADT2006) you need to fill out a request to do so. Even after the request is approved, expect to be on the phone with the fine people at Autodesk registrations. It won't register automatically.

In 2006 you first install the Deployment Wizard. Even in 2007 I recommend installing the wizard to a share location. That way you can be bopping all over and not need to return to the computer where you first installed it...or drag CDs with you. Yes, I know in '07 you can install from the media browser but I still like the Wizard out there waiting for me...just in case I need to check something.

Run the deployment Wizard and make the installer do your bidding. Sadly, and I'm not sure why, the 2006 deployment "forgot" all my custom support file search paths. Harrumph. I have to fix that after class today.

Then install the Network License Manager. You need to be looking at the server at this point. Today I remote-ed into a server in Sioux City - but used the local user's machine as my CD drive. I just shared the CD drive over the network and like magic I could get to the media browser and install remotely. Cool, huh?

So, drumroll please...installing the Activation thingy.
Like I said, I needed to call the Registration people.

They wanted the hardware address (aka MAC address, aka Physical Address) and name of the server. No problemo.
To get to the hardware address they needed you:

  1. Get to a command prompt (Start > Run, then type CMD)
  2. Type in ipconfig /all
  3. Jot down the number then email it to wherever they want you to. In my case customer service.
Several hours later, after verifying group numbers and all that fun stuff I got my license file. I strongly recommend putting it in the default location. Now configure the paths to log file, licence and the service executable. Don't forget to start the service!

Last but not least, at the workstations, add the environment variable to let Windows know where to look for the license.

Whalla. You should have licenses. Luckily I had no firewall problems -didn't need to open port 2080.

And the people of South Dakota rejoiced!

No comments: